AMP apologises unreservedly for the misconduct and failures in regulatory disclosures in the advice business.
The AMP Limited Board today announces the following actions to accelerate the necessary change within the organisation:
- The Board and the Chief Executive Officer, Craig Meller, have agreed that he will step down from his role with immediate effect.
- Mike Wilkins, a Non-Executive Director on the AMP Limited Board since September 2016 and a former CEO of IAG Limited, has been appointed as acting Chief Executive Officer until the search for the new CEO is completed.
- An immediate, comprehensive review of AMP’s regulatory reporting and governance processes will be undertaken. This work will be overseen by a retired judge or equivalent independent expert who will be appointed imminently
- A Board Committee has been established to review the issues related to the advice business raised in the Royal Commission. The Committee is chaired by Mike Wilkins and will act with the assistance of external counsel, King & Wood Mallesons.
- The Group General Counsel, Brian Salter, has agreed to take leave while the review is undertaken. David Cullen, AMP General Counsel, Governance has been appointed as acting Group General Counsel.
AMP will be making a submission to the Royal Commission to respond to the issues raised. The submission will, among other matters, address the issue of the independence of the Clayton Utz report.
The Board will withdraw resolution four from its Notice of Meeting to the 2018 Annual General Meeting, which relates to an equity grant for the Chief Executive Officer.
The actions announced today build upon the existing program of work, instigated in 2017. The work underway includes:
- Customer remediation, with the program well progressed and 15,712 customers identified and $4.7 million fees refunded to date.
- An external review to ensure all fee for no service business practices have ceased. This review is now complete and has confirmed that the practices ceased in November 2016
- An independent investigation into employee conduct. Based on the review’s findings, the Board will determine the employment and remuneration implications for any relevant individuals around the fee for no service matter
- A review and complete overhaul of governance, systems and processes in the advice business.
- An enterprise-wide cultural audit conducted by an external consultant.
- An enterprise-wide review of risk governance, controls and culture also conducted by an external consultant.
The advice given by Kalkine Pty Ltd and provided on this website is general information only and it does not take into account your investment objectives, financial situation or needs. You should therefore consider whether the advice is appropriate to your investment objectives, financial situation and needs before acting upon it. You should seek advice from a financial adviser, stockbroker or other professional (including taxation and legal advice) as necessary before acting on any advice. Not all investments are appropriate for all people. Kalkine.com.au and associated websites are published by Kalkine Pty Ltd ABN 34 154 808 312 (Australian Financial Services License Number 425376). The information on this website has been prepared from a wide variety of sources, which Kalkine Pty Ltd, to the best of its knowledge and belief, considers accurate. You should make your own enquiries about any investments and we strongly suggest you seek advice before acting upon any recommendation. Kalkine Pty Ltd has made every effort to ensure the reliability of information contained in its newsletters and websites. All information represents our views at the date of publication and may change without notice. To the extent permitted by law, Kalkine Pty Ltd excludes all liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of this website and any information published (including any indirect or consequential loss, any data loss or data corruption). If the law prohibits this exclusion, Kalkine Pty Ltd hereby limits its liability, to the extent permitted by law to the resupply of services. There may be a product disclosure statement or other offer document for the securities and financial products we write about in Kalkine Reports. You should obtain a copy of the product disclosure statement or offer document before making any decision about whether to acquire the security or product. The link to our Terms & Conditions has been provided please go through them and also have a read of the Financial Services Guide. On the date of publishing this report (mentioned on the website), employees and/or associates of Kalkine Pty Ltd do not hold positions in any of the stocks covered on the website. These stocks can change any time and readers of the reports should not consider these stocks as advice or recommendations.